Brighton & Hove City Council give green-light to 28 day cultural festival

Brighton & Hove City Council give green-light to 28 day cultural festival

A crowd funder fundraising mission has been launched to help save Brighton’s live entertainment, venues and arts industries. The ambition is to raise funds to launch the Big Culture Project, one the biggest collaborative arts festivals Brighton has ever seen in a valiant effort to bring back culture to the city. The month-long celebration of music, film, dance and performing arts will be landing at Black Rock, creating 250 jobs and bringing a much-needed boost to industries fighting their way out of the current crisis and to Brighton’s wider economy.  70% of ticket revenue will go directly to the relevant promoters, artists and venues hosting each show and the remaining 30% will support the project with profits being distributed between the relevant local venues, organisations and charities.

The Big Culture Project, which has already received the green light from the City Council and is backed by a consortium of 90 of Brighton’s best event organisers, promoters and contractors, will take place across 28 days in August and September. It’s a purpose-built, socially distanced and safe event space, designed to create a platform for struggling performers to get back on the stage. As well as big-named musicians, comics and performers, expect all the street food, craft beers and artisan gins that have been missing from 2020, delivered via a cashless table service.

To ensure the project can be realised in such a short space of time and give the people of Brighton the summer they deserve, The Big Culture Project must raise £175,000 to enable the initiative to go ahead. Put on by a consortium of 90 of Brighton’s best event organisers, promoters, contractors and suppliers the wealth of experience behind the event will ensure it’s completely brilliant, as well as socially responsible, adhering to all the latest guidelines on public events.

If you’re missing the music, the theatre, the dance, the comedy, the visual arts and the film which makes Brighton the vibrant city that it is, help support The Big Culture Project through. You can be part of Brighton’s future by donating at Crowdfunder campaign. Contribution rewards include everything from back stage access, to celebrity meet ups, to having a stage named after you.

John Castrillon, for TBCP said:

“This is an unprecedented collaboration for an unprecedented time. We’ve got the delivery teams behind, The Great Escape, Brighton Dome, C3, Whisky Bravo and using their collective experience, equipment and little black books to ensure The Big Culture Project is the glittering success our region deserves.

TBCP has been endorsed by Visit Brighton, Komedia, Brighton & Hove City Council, Gresham Blake, Sussex Dance Network and Concorde 2.

In an impossibly challenging year for the arts and event industries, we’re determined to do something positive and creative, championing the charities, venues and independent businesses that put smiles on our faces year after year. We’re extremely conscious of the challenges around staging an event in the current climate and have been collaborating with health and safety experts as well as the city’s authorities from day one.

So, if you’re able, please support our Crowdfunder , support the arts, support your city and make The Big Culture Project a reality. If everyone in Brighton contributed just £1, we’d smash our target and give the city something to really look forward to.”