Do You Love Me” among top five questions Brightoners want to ask our dogs
Dogs Trust shares top tips to show our dogs some extra TLC on Love Your Pet Day, Dogs Trust is calling on owners in Brighton and Hove to show their four-legged friends some extra love thisLove Your Pet Day(20thFebruary), as new statistics show the number one question that we most want to ask our dogs is “Are you happy?” (1)
The UK’s largest dog welfare charity polled 2,000 dog owners and 81% of people in Brighton and Hove said they wish their dog could talk, especially as 63% of owners say their dog surprises them at least once a week.
Among the top questions owners in the area said they would most want to ask their dogs if they could talk were “are you happy” (69%), “how could I make your life happier” (56%), “do you understand me when I talk to you” (69%), “what do you dream about” (25%) and “do you love me” (50%)?
Dogs Trust has some top tips to show your pet pooches just how “paw-some” they are:
1. Have a treasure hunt– hide some of your dog’s favourite treats in different rooms around the house and see how quickly they manage to locate them.
2. Play their favourite game– Catch? Fetch? Tug of war? They’re all great fun to your dog! Show them some love by spending time playing their favourite game with them.
3. Make them their very ownSnuffle Mat! -A snuffle mat is an enrichment toy that encourages your dog to sniff and search out hidden treats amongst the mat.
4. Build them aDoggy Den-has your dog’s bed been looking pretty well lived in recently? Create your furry friend a cosy, comfortable place to sleep.
5. Teach them some new tricks!With our easy to follow Dog School videosor enrolling them in some classes.
6. Take your dog out on an adventureto their favourite walking location. Allow them to have a run around and really stretch their legs!
7. Teach your dog totreat bob!– Keep your dog entertained with these easy to make toys by following these simple instructions.
8. Give them a squeaky-clean smile- Dental hygiene is important for dogs. Head to ouradvice pageto follow our helpful guide on how to brush their teeth.
9. Buy your dog a new collar– Your dog wears their collar 24/7, so why not make sure it’s nice, comfortable ‘fetch’ing?! Headhereto get a personalised dog tag to complete the look.
10. Make them a delicious treat!There are plenty of recipes for treats which can be eaten at all times of the year on our website, includingdog friendly pancakesand mince pies!
Tracey Rae, Manager at Dogs Trust Shoreham said:“Dogs are such wonderful characters and play such a big part in our lives, and what’s clear from these statistics is that we want nothing more than to make our dogs’ lives even happier.
“Of course, every day should be love your pet day and there’s lots of different ways you can show your pet pooch just how much you love them from building them a doggy den to playing their favourite game. This Love Your Pet Day why not show some extra love to our rescue dogs as well and make some of their wishes come true by donating toys and treats to your local rehoming centre.”
The charity also asked owners in Brighton and Hove what they loved most about their dogs. How affectionate they are (56%), how much of a good companion they are (69%) and how much happier they make our own lives (50%) were among some of the main reasons why we can’t live without our four-legged friends.
For more information on how to donate to your local rehoming centre through its Amazon Wish List visit www.dogstrust.org.uk/wishes