Last month the National Trust reopened seven properties in England and Northern Ireland as part of a phased reopening of its 200 houses, which were closed as part of the national lockdown in March.
On Monday 24 August the National Trust in the South East saw the house at Standen open their doors daily, for the first time in more than four months – with several new safety measures in place.
One-way systems and limited numbers inside houses will ensure that social distancing is possible, while enhanced cleaning and hand sanitising stations will be made available.
The house is open daily from 11am to 4pm with last admission at 3.30pm (the garden is open 10-5pm daily). Visitors will need to book their visit in advance through the online booking system.
Visits are limited to ensure social distancing and entry to the house is not guaranteed on the day you visit. In line with government guidance, you’re required to wear a face covering in the house. Please bring one with you.
Regular visitors will also notice some changes to our displays, including the removal of interactive displays and comment cards.
The latest round of properties to reopen have been specifically selected to operate within current government guidelines following the pilot scheme launched on July 13.
Since then hundreds of people have visited National Trust houses nationwide with more than 3.5 million visiting its parks and gardens, which were reopened from June 3 in England and Northern Ireland and from July 6 in Wales.
The National Trust will continue to operate an advanced booking system and tickets will grant joint access to the house and gardens. Due to limits on capacity as a result of social distancing, it may not be possible for everyone to access the house during their visit.
John Orna-Ornstein, the National Trust’s Director of Culture and Engagement says: “We have received some fantastic feedback since we started to reopen our places in July and are incredibly grateful for the patience and understanding that visitors and members have demonstrated as we start to welcome people back to our houses.
“This latest reopening is part of a process to open all of our properties safely and we will announce more in the coming weeks and months.
“Being able to share these beautiful places and their histories is what the National Trust is here for and we are truly excited to be able to open these houses and welcome people back.”
Richard Grudzinski, General Manager for Standen House and Garden, said: ‘We are thrilled to be able to welcome visitors back inside the Beale’s family home at Standen. Recent weeks have seen visitors to the garden having to make do with peering through the windows so it is great joy to be able to let people see part of the collection in its full glory. Although the visit is different than normal with a one way visitor route and only the ground floor open, we are really excited to be able to open the doors to Standen House and welcome our visitors in.’